1st attempt of the spear tip. the spear tip has 4 mirroring axis. I decided to work with 1 quarter, the top half of the spear tip. Box modelling seemed a good technique to start with. even though the shape of the spear tip is organic in shape, I saw the base shape as a cube. I started with a cube, moving vertices to the dimensions of edges in the Y and X direction, and extruded where I thought necessary. I then extruded in the Z direction from side view.
Once I was happy with the shape, I mirrored the geometry in the -x and z axis, combined and merged vertices. I deleted the edge loops that connected the 4 shells, that ran in the Y axis. This reduced the edges, in preparation for the cylindrical half. Cylindrical shapes do not need many divisions running in the Y axis to keep their shape. They can be made with as little as 8 divisions. I believe all other edges were needed to keep the shapes created.
After reducing the unnecessary edges from the top half of the spear tip, I counted the edges that would I would need to create the bottom cylindrical half. I counted 26, there fore used a subdivision of 26 to create polygon primitives. The shapes I saw were the outer faces of a Taurus, the inner faces of a Taurus. I used a Taurus to mimic theses shapes as well as extrude for the lip of the stacked 2 stacked Taurus shapes. I combined and merged the vertices for the finished spear tip.
Second attempt of the spear tip.
There were a lot of observational details, that I had missed during the first build. The transitional detail, how one shape would morph into another shape, curved and soft turns. The negative circular shapes also needed closer attention.
Breaking the top half into 4 smaller shapes forced me to consider edge flow and subtle transitions for each shape. Each shape was considered separately.
The first shape that was created was a reverse leaf shape. a radial edge flow expanded out from the spherical negative space. This helped with the transition of the lip, producing a parallel run of faces. A sphere was used as template to line up with the vertices.
I attempted to create this combining the faces of 3 spheres. I also tried using a bend deformer and tried to create the shape using curves. Theses attempts were unsucessful.
The second shape was made separately to the first. The edge flow ran from the tip of the leaf to the centre of the spear tip following the extruded centre line. Parallel faces followed this edge flow. this was to allow a soft, rounded groove to the extruded centre line, without twisting and deforming the faces attached.
The third piece, edge flow was also considered separately. radial edges expand out from the negative spherical shape, in an opposite direction to the first shape. This edge flow gave the two parallel extrusions a line of faces to transition to.
The 4th piece differed from the first 3 pieces. It was more geometric, simular shape to a triangle, however it had a domed shape, starting from the outer extrusion to the centre. This dome shape was created with the edges in Y axis. Edge reduction was also needed at the top of the tip, where the edges converged. Retaining edge loop was inserted for the soft transition of the extruded lip, into the sloped shelf.
I combined the 4 shapes, not all vertices matched up. I used multi-cut to add loops. Transiting edges were checked in all axis. Once I was happy with the shape I mirrored the geometry in the -x and z axis, combined and merged vertices. I counted the edges that would I would need to create the bottom cylindrical half. I used a Taurus to mimic theses shapes of the bottom half, as in the first example. The end result, represented in images below.
Overall the shapes created in the second attempt look more successful and match the shape of the spear tip closer than the 1st box model version.